Sunday 18 November 2007

Week Seven Blog

This week I have had no work form any of my major groups. Due to the short timescale of our terms, now is roughly the time when people are churning out their animatics or blockouts. Seeing as I completed storyboards for War In Wunderland, Adam and Caspar are completing the blockout. As I am an extra in Ash's group he is completing this task 'in house'. I have not heard from Kyle at all and I have not recieved any work from Becca.

This gave me a completely free week to play with. I managed to write my first draft of Gareth Munden's business essay and take on some extra concept/colour/environment work from Jessica. For this project I was asked to create some buildings that could be used in the film. These buildigns did not have to be realisitically drawn, just clear and colourful enough for the group to get an idea of what they liked or disliked. The only rule was that the buildings were all warm colours (reds) and there is one building that is more blue as it is not lit by lanterns.

I designed the elements of the buildings (so Jessica can take them and create her own) and formed 7 myself. 6 of these have blue alternatives. I also coloured up 3 sets of 3 lanterns in different colours based on the research Jessica provided me. I then designed 2 dragons to be used as decoration. I drew the pictures in pencil and coloured them digitally in Flash.

Dragons


These dragon designs can be found on the buildings, windows, lanterns and fences I designed. The two black dragons (done in Flash) were the 2 I favoured and used in the final concept designs.



Lanterns






Blue lanterns are not used in festivals but I coloured one anyway as I had an idea prehaps the reason the odd house out was blue because its lanterns cast blue light. This could be because the lantern itself is blue, because the lantern has a mystical blue flame or prehaps it is not even lit (so in the dark the clour would seem blue/purple/grey rather than red/orange and gold).



Building Bits (like lego but less fun)



The designs below are the elements I used to create my building concepts. These pieces can be scaled up, down, out or in to create larger or smaller versions of the same thing. The idea was to create a basic idea of what the buildings would look like so the designs are all relatively simple.

The first set of pieces are the doors, windows and fences used to decorate the blank wall templates. The next pieces are the various roofs. Some elements are more ornate than others.


Buildings





I think these are all very different from one another and give a good range of different building designs. Structure design is not a strong point of mine, I am more involved in character design, so I hope these are what Jessica wanted or sort of imagined when she asked for building concept.

No comments: